December 20th

It’s been a tough week. First, my uncle’s wife, Nelda, died after a long life of illness. A couple of days later my aunt Bianca, sister to that same uncle, also died after a pretty good, overall healthy life. Following hot on the heels of the death of a much beloved parishioner and helping another family in the congregation deal with the passing of one of their family members, the loss of these two members of my family has given me lots of stuff to deal with myself. There is, of course, sadness as you might expect. But it’s not an overwhelmingly depressing thing. It is the sadness of losses that are a natural part of life. Not having these two women in my life leaves a hole that will never be filled and there is no escaping the sadness of that truth.
On the other hand my memories of Zia Bianca are positive and wonderful. Despite being in Italy, I was blessed by being able to get over there enough times to know her well and enjoy her and her husband, Angelo in a way that made them very near and dear to me. Those memories are what help me deal with my grief. After all, isn’t it more of a joy to have known my mother’s sister as a friend, rather than never having had such a person in my life at all, or not getting to know her because of the great distance involved?
There are two other things that help me travel along these harder roads. First is my own family, my congregation and the assorted friends here in Chatham and elsewhere. While my aunts may be gone and I’m busy helping others through their grief, I’m also busy living out the other parts of my life with folks involved in living out all their joys and griefs and whatever else is going on. The other thing, as you might expect from a Pastor, is my faith in, and friendship with, Jesus.
Knowing that he’s there for me and that he cares for me provides the support I need to carry on. Being connected to God through Him gives me a sense that I am part of a bigger, happier picture that I will see in all its wonderful fullness. Finally, having his love and care for others as an example for my life helps me live in a way that makes a positive difference for those around me. Sure, it’s not always easy to put my faith into practice when things are tough, but I don’t know how I’d get through without it.
What really makes me sad, especially as we prepare to celebrate the birth of the Saviour that makes such a difference in my own and other people’s lives, is knowing that lots of folks have no faith whatsoever. There are lots of folks who don’t know Jesus, or can’t be bothered with God, or who believe faith itself just a lot of “Humbug.”  That, to me, is a truly sad way to live, especially since I’ve been there myself. Yes, I’ve seen the other side, even believed that it worked, but reality is far, far different. There is no greater joy than walking with and living for Jesus. There is no greater joy than singing God’s praises and there is no better cure for the dark night of sadness than basking in the glow of Jesus, the Light of the World. At least that’s the way I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment