February 14th
As part of my role in the church I recently sat in on a few special meetings designed to take care of conflict in another congregation. The meetings were overseen by a specially trained mediator in order for all parties to be able to get their point across, and to ensure that each side heard what the other had to say.
With great skill and care the mediator would open the door for conversation, encouraging folks to share their thoughts in a loving, respectful way. At times she would stop the conversation in order to clarify a point. Every once in a while she took a moment or two to summarize what had been said in order to make sure that the speaker and listener were on the same page. Throughout the process she made it clear that the folks were not to there to point fingers or assign blame, but to work through their issues.
Watching and listening as a somewhat detached figure gave me the freedom not only to hear what was being said on both sides of the issue, but to observe the mediator that was directing the process. I noted that she used the phrases and expressions I had heard many times before in mediated discussions of all kinds. This unique vantage point led me, at one point, to think to myself, she’s spouting a lot of psycho-babble and to have a quiet but loving chuckle at her expense.
Don’t get me wrong: I absolutely recognize the value of her work. I also respect her a great deal for being able to help people air their issues and then find a way to overcome their problems and find a mutual solution. What I found funny was the special language used by her to describe or explain the process. It’s a very special set of words that, taken out of context can easily sound like mumbo-jumbo. On the other hand, when led by a trained professional like her, that language is very powerful and very helpful.
For most folks, anyway.
There are folks that just don’t get it. As that “psycho-babble” thought passed through my mind it was with one single person in mind, an acquaintance that I feel would have just laughed at everything the mediator had to say. That’s what struck me as both funny and a little sad. This guy doesn’t have the ears to hear the love and genius that motivates that special language of mediation and problem solving. And, in a broader sense, I don’t know that they even have the ears to hear the loving words of the God behind that process of mediation.
Thankfully, God has other ways of getting through to people. Words may not touch this man, but actions might. Caring, serving and loving speak volumes without a single word, filling in where language falls short. The wonderful thing about those acts is that they require no special training. One way or another, we can all care, serve and love and one way or another, by word or by deed, we can let God be known to others. At least that’s the way I see it.
No comments:
Post a Comment