I have several things in the house that need fixing. Some, like my exercise machine, broke due to having been poorly assembled. Not by me, mind you, but I am the one that has to fix it. Other items, like a power cord or two, have broken due to time and wear. It is inevitable. Things break so I try to fix them.
It is one of my talents. It is also one of my ways of helping the environment, of reducing my personal impact on the precious resources. And, let’s face it, it’s a way of saving a little cash. Just because something is broken doesn’t mean it’s useless. If that were the case, most of us human beings would be on a scrap heap someplace, but I’m getting ahead of myself.
My desire to fix things is driven by my desire to be a good steward and because I’m cheap. Desire, however, doesn’t always line up with ability. Sometimes I can’t fix a thing because it is beyond my skill set. Some repairs are impossible because the damage is far too great. In yet other cases, the skill and scope are within grasp, but the parts are simply not available to get the job done.
To put it another way, things can’t always be fixed. For one reason or another, some things have to been done away with. There is no choice, other than to keep an object as a memento or perhaps a doorstop. Naturally, rather than throw it away, I’ll try to see if either its parts or its materials can be recycled, but that still isn’t a fix; it’s just a better solution than the trash can.
As I mentioned before, sometimes we human beings can be pretty wrecked. Wrecked, perhaps beyond our ability to fix things. Yet if you pay close attention, there is no human scrap heap or trash pile. Not in God’s eyes, anyway. In God’s eyes none of us is ever beyond hope or repair. We are never too old, so that parts can’t be found or the wear is too great. We are never too useless so that some good purpose can’t be found for us. And we are never too smashed up that God can’t bring us back to health.
Mind you, I don’t mean this in a physical sense. As important as our bodies are to us, they aren’t what I’m concerned about here. I’m talking about our souls, the very essence of our true selves. No matter what happens to our souls, God is able to make things right again. He is, after all, our Creator, and no-one knows us better than God. He is also the one that loves us more than anyone else in all creation, which means that it’s no fun for God to see us broken. What’s more, we are all so highly valued in God’s sight, none of us is ever not worth the effort. No matter what it takes, God can fix us.
No comments:
Post a Comment