April 24th: Just Once

I have often thought it, but until the other day I had never done it. Oh, it has always seemed logical, it’s always been tempting, and on many occasions I had promised myself that I would go ahead and take the plunge, but somehow I just couldn’t bring myself to dive in.
Well, now I’ve gone and done it: I bought a brand new printer rather than buying new ink cartridges for the old one. Despite the fact that the old one works just fine, except for the lack of ink, I went ahead and replaced it. From an economic point of view, it only made sense. The new device not only came with brand spankin’ new cartridges of its own, it also has many more features than the old machine. Five years advancement in printer technology finally won me over to the concept of replacing a whole unit rather than just the empty ink receptacles.
It was not an easy choice. I tend to use things until their final bit of utility is totally exhausted. Just ask my wife, Lois, about the state of certain pairs of pants or T-shirts. Absolutely disreputable from a public viewing standpoint, their assorted stains and tears are absolutely acceptable when working in the shop. Well, they are OK as long as Lois doesn’t see them. If they should catch her eye when they need washing, chances are those paint-covered, wretched items will become this week’s sink cleaning cloths. I don’t really mind, of course, because I’m fully aware that the doomed article of clothing has lived a useful life and is due for permanent retirement.
The struggle remains, however, justifying the replacement of a perfectly fine machine simply because an easily replaced part has worn out. My only consolation is that my old printer will be going to Value Village so that someone else can enjoy it. It’s not a perfect solution, but this was one of those life-time deals that I just couldn’t pass up. I had to do it, even if it was rather uncomfortable. And no, when this new printer runs out of ink it’s not going to be replaced in favour of a new one. Just because I’ve done something once doesn’t mean it will become a habit.
God, of course, would never think to replace us when we go astray. That’s not in His plan book. Instead, He did something once that keeps us viable at all times. It took a while for Him to do it. He gave us plenty of chances to get it right on our own, but when it became clear that we couldn’t do it, or when His time was right, He fixed things for us. Jesus death and resurrection was the once in a creation-time deal that set things straight for us. No need to be replaced when we can be forgiven instead.
God had to break the mold to do what He did. Sending His Son to the cross was an extraordinary deed. He won’t do it again, ever. Nor does He need to. What Jesus did works for us every time we mess up. All we have to do is accept Him into our hearts. No other solution is needed. God will never replace us, and we will never need an answer to our problems other than the cross. God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment