September 11th: Grey, like me

Well, apparently I am not part of this world any more. I am extinct. I am no longer here. I have completely disappeared. Look as hard as you like, but you won’t find me anywhere.
Well, OK, it’s only according to a commercial for a hair-colouring product. You see, according to them there are no longer any gray haired men in the world. I guess I’m the only one left. Oh, and there’s the guy next door, too. Come to think of it I saw one or two elsewhere earlier today. In fact, I’m pretty sure that one of the gentlemen at a wedding rehearsal I ran today was not entirely his youthful colour, either.
Darn, I guess it’s not the end of the Grey haired era. There are still more than a few of us in the world. What’s more, at least as far as I’m concerned, and let me make this totally clear:
I DON”T CARE!
Sorry for yelling, but I really don’t mind going grey. I like to complain about it, but I figure it’s par for the course. I’m of a certain age, my hair is of a certain age, and as long as the sun sets in the west, the tides go in and out according to the moon’s pull and God is in charge of everything, many people of a certain age go grey. Not everybody, but enough of us to make it a notable part of reaching and exceeding a certain age.
I don’t understand why so many folks are obsessed with hiding the reality about themselves. It’s not as if hiding one’s grey hair will also remove their spare tire or improve their memory. You might fill in wrinkles, tone up muscles and even hide age spots but everything else gets older. Like gravity it’s not something we can pick and choose, it’s the law. Colour your hair all you like, it’s not going to make you live any longer or, let’s face it, any better.
We are what we are. We are limited creatures. We age. We forget. We make mistakes. Yet for all those limitations, we are also amazingly wonderful beings. We are creative. We are imaginative. We are kind. We are loving. We are, in a nutshell, Godly. Not gods that don’t age, but God-created beings of an eternal goodness that has nothing to do with the number of years we’ve been here or the way we look.
As living, transient beings change is a constant. Sure, we get old, but that doesn’t mean we lose our worth. We can always learn something, or start a new friendship, or build on an old relationship, or simply enjoy who and what we are at any given moment. That’s what matters the most: that we enjoy and indeed celebrate ourselves, our friends, our family, even complete strangers for who and what we are, just as we are, whenever or whenever we are. Even if you’re a little grey, like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment