December 9th Waste Not

I love bargains, gadgets and, I have to admit, brightly coloured packages. A couple of weeks ago these three loves came together in a less than half price deal I couldn’t resist. Hooray for my new GorillaPod tripod, purchased for less than ten dollars, taxes included!
In case you’re wondering, a GorillaPod is a tremendously versatile tripod that lets you mount a camera just about anywhere. I know this because I had one previously that I ended up giving away to a family member in Italy. That’s how cool this thing is, and that’s why I was so happy to buy a replacement very cheaply. The brightly coloured packaging didn’t hurt either.
The brightly coloured packaging, however, is the very reason for this missive. When I unwrapped the product, I couldn’t believe how much plastic and cardboard there was. I could probably have made another GorillaPod with it. Yes, I admit that I love brightly coloured packages; I also think that they’re a great waste and I begrudge paying for them, even at a bargain price.
I also begrudge what it says about us as consumers. Is the package really that important? Yes, I realize things have to be kept neat and tidy and that the advertisement helps direct folks to a product, but still, it doesn’t seem right. Our beloved home, planet Earth, has only limited resources. We are called by God to be wise stewards of those resources. Making useful products is wise. Wrapping them in tons of plastic and cardboard is a foolish use. I think I should reconsider my love of brightly coloured packages. Maybe I should just focus on the product instead. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment