January 10th

There was a doctor living in the village of Norval, Ontario who, in his retirement, went all out with Christmas decorating. Not only did he put lights on his house, he also installed assorted displays and mechanisms on the front yard. He had everything from Reindeer to a fully functioning Ferris wheel out on display! Oh, and not just any Ferris wheel, but one that was cheerfully lit and populated, if I remember correctly, by Teddy bears dressed in seasonally appropriate garb. What’s even more remarkable is that most of the things he installed he also built all by himself. You see, he was retired, and this was just one of the things his retirement allowed him to do.
So fantastic was the display this talented guy had created that his home became a destination. In fact, most of the neighbours got into the act as well. While none of them quite matched his extent and imagination, they certainly were equally enthusiastic in their efforts. This made for a real trip, a little bit of bright Christmas joy to be experienced and enjoyed by young and old alike. Needless to say, with kids under seven years old, the Giurin family made that pilgrimage with faithful regularity during my tenure at Norval and Union Presbyterian Churches.
Sadly, January followed December, and before you could say “Welcome Jesus!” the decorations and lights and all the festive trimmings of the season would quickly go into storage. Their memory, however was not so speedily dispensed. No, just like these drab post season days, I still remember fondly the bright, joyful sights that graced the doctor’s lawn in Norval and the many homes all around Chatham, and indeed, everywhere I’ve lived. Maybe you feel that way too. Maybe you miss those lights that just so recently graced your home town. Maybe you’re left with a little sadness at the drab wintry scene that has been left behind. I certainly am.
On the other hand, I’m thankful that I was able to enjoy all those happily lighted homes. I appreciated my own chance to contribute to the gaudiness with my own particular slant on the luminous displays of Christmas. More importantly, I’m happy that the light all those little illuminating devices tried to reflect still shines brightly in the hearts and souls of those who believe in the miracle of Christmas.
Jesus, the light of the world, the Son that shines brightly through those who accept and follow Him, can never be suppressed. His light overcomes the deepest darkness. That light is seen in the love holding the world together. It’s seen in little and big acts of kindness. It’s seen in mercy and forgiveness. It’s seen in generosity and hospitality. It’s seen anywhere people glorify and enjoy God. If you truly believe, there is no way to hide the light and no way to forget it. If you are wondering how that’s possible, how that light might shine in you, remember what Jesus did for you. He came to earth to get rid of sin’s darkness. He died so that our black night of shame could be brightened by God’s forgiveness. He rose from the dead so that our lives might be new, bright and beautiful. He lives so that our light may never die. And when we let Him into our lives we shine as brightly as the star that pointed to His birthplace in the Manger. At least that’s the way I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment