January 17th
“Made for Fun” That’s a real product’s tag line. Those three words are meant to grab your attention and tell you what you need to know about that particular item. Ah, but just what might that product be? What is it they are advertising by telling you that it’s “Made for Fun?” It could be a Sport Utility Vehicle, ready for rough and tumble fun and adventure both on and off road. It could be a music or video player; they offer lots of entertainment, and there’s no better way of having a good time than bopping along to a happy tune. “Made for Fun” might even describe a line of party clothing aimed at the night-club set. With a tag line like that, the possibilities are endless.
Well, almost endless, I think. I say that because of all the products that might be described as being “Made for Fun” I wouldn’t include food. Food, however, is exactly what that “Made for Fun” tag line belongs to. Yes, that’s right, when you buy a package of Pop Tarts; you aren’t buying a product that feeds you or tastes good; you’re buying something that’s “Made for Fun.” Now, I don’t know about you, but as much as I like food and as much as I find a good meal a great way to pass the time with friends, I have never thought of any kind of edible item, no matter how silly it might look or taste, as being “Made for Fun.”
Has the advertiser missed the point? Have they lost focus completely? Have they lost their minds? I think so. I think that selling food simply on the basis of its amusement factor is plain crazy. Sure, Pop Tarts aren’t health food, but they are snack food, and even lowly snacks can provide some sort of nutrition. Apparently that’s not the case with Pop Tarts. They’re just something to do when you’ve got nothing to do. When nothing is happening, when the books are all read, the weather’s too lousy for tag and you’re bored out of your mind, toss a couple of Pop Tarts into your Pie Hole and you’ll be rolling in fun in no time. Let the nonsense reign!
Mind you, folks like the makers of Pop Tarts or the advertising firm saying they are “Made for Fun” aren’t the only ones spouting nonsense. Many folks miss the point about God, saying that He’s only for fools or hypocrites. A lot of people don’t realize that there is more to God than myth, mystery or a lot of what they think is outright fantasy. Folks that don’t believe in God are, however, missing the point. They don’t realize that God wasn’t thought up by fools for fools; it’s the other way ‘round: we were made by God for God.
We are the peak of creation, not imagination. We are the height of love, not folly. We, in all our wisdom and ability, are God’s physical expression of Himself. Just as God is great and good and wonderful, we too were made to be great and good and wonderful. Not quite to the same level as our creator mind you, but we all have wondrous possibilities, when we get our priorities straight. Why, with a God that made silly things like squirrels forgetting where they’ve put their food and chickadees who can eat even standing upside down, you might even say we were “Made for Fun!” At least that’s the way I see it.
No comments:
Post a Comment