This first week of January is a rather remarkable time. With it we mark the earth having finished its grand tour around the sun, its 365 or so day orbit that is otherwise known as a year. As part of that celebration we drink drinks, dance dances and feast on fine food. Well, at least some people do. The other thing we do is make promises, or resolutions, to change something or other about our lives or the way we live them.
I suppose there is some logic to this but I’m not quite sure what it is. In terms of the season, well, winter began earlier on, at the end of December, so there’s no justification in changing our habits in accord with the change of season. Certainly Christmas marks a significant celebration, and we could think of it in terms of change I suppose, but then again, if that’s the case, why not make resolutions then?
No, really, I don’t see much point in marking the start of a new year as a time to change, or at least to resolve to change. Even the earth, having completed its orbit around the sun, gives us no real logical inspiration to alter our ways. It just keeps on keeping on, continuing its journey around the sun without pause, gap, hesitation or moment of reflection.
In other words, just because we change our calendar, nothing has really changed in our universe. Perhaps it’s a convenient time to mark some kind of new course or improved behavior, but that’s about the only reason I can see to make any resolutions at this time. Instead, I would suggest that, like the earth, we keep on keeping on. Unlike the earth, however, which follows the same course eon in and eon out, we should move forward with our lives.
Change is, after all, a constant. Nothing ever remains the same, if you think about it. So rather than hoard up our need to adjust our lives and then try to get it all done at the start of a new year, we should try to build it into our normal routine, tweaking and adjusting things as necessary, rather than in one fell swoop. When we constantly monitor ourselves and fix things when we need to we stand a far better chance of success; to wait for the new year and then embark on new course is, I think, a recipe for disaster.
Think of it in terms of church. Sure, we have big celebrations here and there, but they simply mark special events on the calendar. The real work of making our lives better takes place week in and week out. In the meantime God is constantly working on us with no gaps or breaks. So, I resolve to keep working on myself. No big changes or new beginnings. I will simply make a constant effort to be the best I can be rather than wait for a new year. How about you?
I suppose there is some logic to this but I’m not quite sure what it is. In terms of the season, well, winter began earlier on, at the end of December, so there’s no justification in changing our habits in accord with the change of season. Certainly Christmas marks a significant celebration, and we could think of it in terms of change I suppose, but then again, if that’s the case, why not make resolutions then?
No, really, I don’t see much point in marking the start of a new year as a time to change, or at least to resolve to change. Even the earth, having completed its orbit around the sun, gives us no real logical inspiration to alter our ways. It just keeps on keeping on, continuing its journey around the sun without pause, gap, hesitation or moment of reflection.
In other words, just because we change our calendar, nothing has really changed in our universe. Perhaps it’s a convenient time to mark some kind of new course or improved behavior, but that’s about the only reason I can see to make any resolutions at this time. Instead, I would suggest that, like the earth, we keep on keeping on. Unlike the earth, however, which follows the same course eon in and eon out, we should move forward with our lives.
Change is, after all, a constant. Nothing ever remains the same, if you think about it. So rather than hoard up our need to adjust our lives and then try to get it all done at the start of a new year, we should try to build it into our normal routine, tweaking and adjusting things as necessary, rather than in one fell swoop. When we constantly monitor ourselves and fix things when we need to we stand a far better chance of success; to wait for the new year and then embark on new course is, I think, a recipe for disaster.
Think of it in terms of church. Sure, we have big celebrations here and there, but they simply mark special events on the calendar. The real work of making our lives better takes place week in and week out. In the meantime God is constantly working on us with no gaps or breaks. So, I resolve to keep working on myself. No big changes or new beginnings. I will simply make a constant effort to be the best I can be rather than wait for a new year. How about you?
No comments:
Post a Comment