August 21st: Extra! Extra! Read all about it!

Kate Middleton is losing weight! Charlize Theron might be dating Ryan Seacrest! Rebecca Black has a new single! Wow! I mean, like, totally, Wow! I can’t believe anybody cares about this stuff! Honestly, folks, in the great scheme of things, do the antics of Hollywood celebs, the health of Royalty or the latest offering from a non-celebrity really impact our lives?
I suppose if you’re a gossip follower or want to be in on the latest trends, stuff like that matters. Once again, however, I am left wondering at how empty our lives have become that we should need to know who’s losing weight, dating the wrong guy or peddling bad music. Has our day to day existence so boring that we need to amuse ourselves with trivia? Will knowing about the health status, love life or career arc of complete strangers make us feel more alive? I sincerely hope not. Our lives might not be thrill a minute, chock full of excitement soap operas, but at least as far as my state of affairs goes, it’s plenty interesting enough.
No, I’m not sharing it with you. Well, at least not here. If something in my life interests you because you care, or if I need a little help from you, or if it might help you in your journey, sure, I’ll let you in. I have no problem telling my story to the folks who count. I’m also interested in your story if you care to share for. If our lives should happen to meet in ways that bring us mutual joy, support or success, share away. I’m here for you. But please, if it’s not something you really need to share, or if it’s about someone else that I don’t know, well, I won’t tell you mine if you don’t tell me yours.
The life stories and events we should be interested in are those that have a direct impact on our lives. They should inform us about ourselves or our relationship with others. They should, in short, be helpful to all concerned. Knowing that Kate Middleton is losing weight doesn’t concern me. If, however, a close friend sheds pounds unexpectedly and in an unhealthy way, I would like to know so I can offer them my love and support.
While were so fascinated with celebrities, I’m fascinated that we’re not more fascinated by the biggest celebrity of all, the person otherwise known as God. What God has done, does and will continue to do has a huge impact on all our lives. The story of his Son, Jesus, can lead us to live the best life possible. Understanding the story of God’s church and taking part in it can have a great, positive impact on the world. And trust me, there is enough drama in God’s great book to keep even the most jaded reader interested. God created the universe in an instant! Jesus died for! Jesus rose from the dead for you! The Presbyterian Church in Canada helps local congregations have global impact! St. James Presbyterian Church is making a difference in its community! What better news do you need than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment