I was watching a popular home decoration show the other day and found myself feeling rather superior for a moment. A couple wanted a meditation room in their house. It was very important to them to have a place to pray. Because they believed something other than what I believe a thought of “Wow, how desperate are they?” came over me. After all, as the Pastor of a church, a devout Christian, and a guy who generally has his act together because of our God, I know better, right?
Everybody say: “Wrong!”
Of course, it would be nice if they believed what I believe. In fact, it’s part of our mandate as Christians to share our faith and help others to see the light. But that doesn’t give us the right to feel superior to anyone. In fact, when I thought about that couple’s earnest desire to make space in their house to practice their faith, I felt a little ashamed and embarrassed.
Here’s the thing: how many devout Christians are willing to go to such lengths. Jesus himself invites us to go into a separate part of our house to pray. He invites us to go into a private room, a quiet place apart, to be with God. Now, that’s not a literal invitation to build a prayer room, but it is a call to make room in our homes and our hearts for Him.
Let me elaborate even further. While our devotion is not measured in square feet of worship space in our house, or how much money we spend refurbishing our place to accommodate a prayer room, or how many hours we take out of our schedule to pray, what we believe needs to be practiced all the time. One woman of faith I spoke with recently described her faith as “talking to Jesus all the time.” That’s a profound way to live: knowing He is never more than a prayer or chat away, and taking advantage of that option, is a great practice. Other folks need something a little more concrete. Prayer journals and study Bibles are a wonderful way to make faith alive.
A separate room works for some folks, too. The point is, it’s not enough to say we believe. Going to church is nice, but if that’s your only contact with the divine, there’s something missing. Harsh as it may sound, there’s more to God than Sunday worship. God is with us all the time. He loves us every moment of His existence. Our lives should reflect that. I might not believe what those folks on TV believe, but I respect their commitment to their faith. Now I just have to figure out how I can be as committed to what I believe.
How about you?
Everybody say: “Wrong!”
Of course, it would be nice if they believed what I believe. In fact, it’s part of our mandate as Christians to share our faith and help others to see the light. But that doesn’t give us the right to feel superior to anyone. In fact, when I thought about that couple’s earnest desire to make space in their house to practice their faith, I felt a little ashamed and embarrassed.
Here’s the thing: how many devout Christians are willing to go to such lengths. Jesus himself invites us to go into a separate part of our house to pray. He invites us to go into a private room, a quiet place apart, to be with God. Now, that’s not a literal invitation to build a prayer room, but it is a call to make room in our homes and our hearts for Him.
Let me elaborate even further. While our devotion is not measured in square feet of worship space in our house, or how much money we spend refurbishing our place to accommodate a prayer room, or how many hours we take out of our schedule to pray, what we believe needs to be practiced all the time. One woman of faith I spoke with recently described her faith as “talking to Jesus all the time.” That’s a profound way to live: knowing He is never more than a prayer or chat away, and taking advantage of that option, is a great practice. Other folks need something a little more concrete. Prayer journals and study Bibles are a wonderful way to make faith alive.
A separate room works for some folks, too. The point is, it’s not enough to say we believe. Going to church is nice, but if that’s your only contact with the divine, there’s something missing. Harsh as it may sound, there’s more to God than Sunday worship. God is with us all the time. He loves us every moment of His existence. Our lives should reflect that. I might not believe what those folks on TV believe, but I respect their commitment to their faith. Now I just have to figure out how I can be as committed to what I believe.
How about you?
No comments:
Post a Comment