December 23rd Remembering Christ

On the eve of Christmas Eve, reading a church bulletin or email, perhaps even doing the former sitting in a pew, it’s easy to remember that Christmas is all about Jesus Christ. If that’s not enough, there are Facebook pages, emails, videos and even lawn signs encouraging us to, as the saying goes, ‘keep the Christ in Christmas.’
Usually I agree with the sentiment. Sometimes, however, I find that they are kind of heavy and sometimes even offensive. One supposedly helpful children’s song I heard the other day actually encourages, with a cute little melody and fun words, as I said, actually encourages kids to stay out of stores that don’t have Merry Christmas in the window or great you with those same two words. Apart from being very pushy, it’s also a sickly sweet song.Yuck.
I have a different approach to the problem. Instead of just keeping Christ in Christmas, why don’t we do our best to keep Christ in every part of our lives, every day of the year?
Why don’t we try to show him alive and well in everything we do, say and are? In other words, why don’t we try to reveal that our very existence is all about Jesus? After all, God didn’t send him to earth for just one day of the year. So why should we remember him just once a year, or once a week reading a missive about him in a church bulletin?

No comments:

Post a Comment