Many organizations have specific mandates. Their mission statements say what the group is about and what it does. They are clear and, naturally, specific to the group. Here at St. James we state proudly that we ‘rejoice with those who rejoice.’ A clear Mission statement is a helpful thing, but sometimes, like the bit from St. James, the ideals are something less than practical. That’s not to say that we cannot indeed be happy for folks that are happy but sometimes it feels a little airy-fairy to say the least.
By contrast and as an example of something more ‘useful,’ I belong to an organization that actually has within its mandate, a statement about being ‘Useful’ to the community. This, to me, has a much more substantial feel; it’s a statement you can hold on to, something that says: this is a practical organization.
I think, if nothing else, Jesus would like to have been thought of as useful. He certainly served a purpose that was practical and helpful simply by loving us so much. His love, however, isn’t confined to a tear when we cry or a smile when we are happy. Jesus’ love manifests itself in going out of the way to make the lonely feel at home; He not only comforts those in pain, He heals them; when there is an injustice He deals with it. Jesus expresses His love in real, tangible and, yes, useful ways.
I would like to follow Jesus’ lead. My personal Mission Statement, if I had one, would read: I don’t just want to be different, I want to make a difference; I want to be useful. How about you?
No comments:
Post a Comment