November 11th Happy Lessons

A motivational sign in our local hospital posted a message that said, in effect, sometimes pain teaches us very important lessons. I like that sentiment, not because I’m a big fan of pain, but because of the inclusion of the word ‘sometimes.’ All too often I encounter an attitude within the church that pain is good; that we are meant to suffer and that after our temporary earthly suffering is done, we will receive a heavenly and permanent reward.
As a person of faith I am a big believer in hope and joy right now. Yes, sometimes we learn important lessons through pain, but many times we learn equally important lessons through joy.
A couple of years ago I learned something about the ‘Pay it Forward’ concept at a Tim Hortons drive-through. When it was my turn at the window I was told that the person in the car ahead of me paid for my coffee. That was a wonderful surprise, and I immediately paid for the coffee of the person behind me.
That had never happened to me before. I had never gone to a drive-through place and had my beverage paid for in advance. My lesson was happy and straightforward: do nice things for folks in drive-throughs; I’ve since expanded my learning to walk-in places as well. Sometimes learning happens through joy.
I’m a big fan of joy, whether it’s being on the receiving end or finding a way to share it. Joy is even more fun when it teaches you how to be even more joyful. It’s my prayer that this is a happy lesson for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment