We’ll get together soon. The cheque is in the mail. I’ll never forget you. We all know a thing or two about empty promises. Perhaps you have made the odd one yourself. It’s just part of our nature as human beings. Words cost little. We expend them with the breath of air and form them with a few tiny muscles. Actions, on the other hand, take a lot more effort. I’m not sure that’s a reasonable excuse for our unfulfilled promises, but it’s a big factor.
I could well leave the discussion there; not much more needs to be said about Empty Promises, except for one thing: there is another side to them.
Empty promises are not just the ones we make and never fulfil. Empty promises are the ones made to us but never acted upon. A certain Work Wearhouse that serves as my fashion supplier offers gift cards when you buy something. The gift card can be used when you next go in to buy something. It’s a great thing for everyone. The Work Wearhouse is guaranteed a returning customer and I’m guaranteed an instant bargain.
Unfortunately, it is nothing but an empty promise, because I don’t think I’ve ever used one of those cards. Since I don’t buy clothes that often, the offer has usually expired by the time my closet needs an update. The store would be more than prepared to honour their offer; I just never get around to it, making the gift card nothing more than an empty promise.
Jesus is an offer that is beyond compare. Through Him God promises us new and better lives. No cash is involved. It is a simple commitment made between our hearts and God’s. Unfortunately, it is as empty a promise as it can be. Jesus stands ready to make good on His part of the deal. His heart is open to receive anyone. Yet few people take Him up on His blessed offer. His promise, therefore, is empty. Without action on the part of the would-be recipient, Jesus can promise all He wants, but nothing will come of it.
I’m knocking at your door, He tells us. When the chips are down and help comes from an expected source, He’s making Himself heard; when there’s pain and suffering and a loving touch eases it a bit, He’s reaching out. When we’re overwhelmed with something beautiful or amazing, He’s shouting out God’s praise.
He knocks through blessings, comfort and wonders and when He knocks He restates His promise: “I love you; let me be a part of your life and you’ll never be the same; in fact, you’ll never be better!” Yet when the blessing passes and it’s giver is abandoned, or the pain returns and the source of comfort forgotten, or when the wonder gives way to boredom, the door is slammed in His face and His promise unfulfilled.
Jesus is persistent, however, and His promise has no expiry date. It’s up to us to make good on His offer. It’s up to us to receive His promised love, up to us to answer the subtle call, up to us to commit to Him as passionately as He has already committed to us. Trust me; this is no empty promise.
No comments:
Post a Comment