November 25th Tripe

With Christmas just a month away, one retailer is trying to get customers to shop ‘til their wallets drop is with this advertisement: “All I want for Christmas is everything!” Sorry, I don’t make this stuff up; trained professionals are responsible for that greedy mentality.
In case you’re wondering why this bit of tripe is noteworthy, I direct you to the true meaning of Christmas: Jesus. Jesus was not born to give us everything we want or so that we can give him gifts; He was born to save us from ourselves, that’s it. Yes, Jesus received gifts after his birth, but that was a sidebar story.
I don’t know how we humans managed to turn Christmas into the biggest and most important retail season of the year. I do know that the idea of wanting (and quite probably feeling entitled to) everything is as far from what God intended as could be imaginable. Jesus came to forgive us for our sins and help us get out of our sinful lifestyle.
Greed is a huge sin as. Guilt is pretty big too. Retailers play on our guilt so we will buy more stuff and on our greed by implying we deserve everything. Well, I want everything too, but not the everything that’s in stores; I want everything that Jesus offers: love, peace, mercy, hope, forgiveness. I want it so that I can share it with you and the rest of the world, and I want it for you so that you can share it with me and the rest of the world. I don’t know about you, but I can’t think of a greater gift, whatever the season might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment