Although I am now a staunch Presbyterian, my Roman Catholic roots show every once in a while. This past Lenten season those roots led me to give up desserts for the 40 day period starting on Ash Wednesday way back in February. The tradition of giving up something is one of self-sacrifice, discipline and humility. Not that I’m trying to show off to anyone, especially to God. It’s just that for many folks, Lent is not just a matter of thinking about Jesus’ death on the Cross and what it really means. It’s also a time to recognize that it is a sad, serious thing that He did for us; thus, we give up something that means a lot to us in order to honour the sad, serious occasion of His own self-sacrifice.
I love desserts; they are, next to Pizza, my favourite food group. Not eating any dessert or sweet thing for forty days was not an easy thing. It was, however, rather fulfilling, as I was able to show myself that it was me, not a luscious double chocolate cheesecake or Dutch Apple pie that is in charge of my dietary habits. As the end of my fast approached, it was very easy to look at a display of birthday and other assorted cakes and not feel like jumping in with my whole body and simply stuffing my face.
What was surprising about my return to eating desserts after Easter was how rich and heavy they were. I’ve generally been trying to eat smarter, so my portion size has been reduced and I’ve virtually cut out having seconds. When I finally enjoyed a lovely piece of Cheesecake, it was indeed delicious, but it felt like something really, really fattening. I don’t know how else to describe it. All I can really say is that I didn’t realize just how much the very feeling of a dessert contributes to its overall yumminess. I guess I was spoiled. Before my forty day abstention I took for granted how filling and tasty a dessert could be. I now have a new appreciation for the whole dessert experience.
I wonder if we are over accustomed to the wonders and beauty of Jesus. Are we so used to praying that we don’t fully appreciate its impact? Is Jesus presence with us so familiar that we hardly recognize Him being there? Are we so comfortable with all the many blessings of food, fine homes and many luxuries that we have forgotten that they are gifts from God? I wonder.
I wonder what it would be like if we were forced to give up prayer when we needed it most; or if we couldn’t turn to Jesus when we’re lonely or afraid. What would it be like if God decided that He would abstain from providing us all the blessings He sends our way?
It might be a small thing, but I’ll never look at a dessert the same way. From now on, I’m going to cut back and try to enjoy them as a real treat rather than a regular part of life. I wonder if it’s time that we started appreciating Jesus and all His blessings a little more as well. Maybe it’s time we all took Him a little more seriously and paid HIm the attention He truly deserves.
I love desserts; they are, next to Pizza, my favourite food group. Not eating any dessert or sweet thing for forty days was not an easy thing. It was, however, rather fulfilling, as I was able to show myself that it was me, not a luscious double chocolate cheesecake or Dutch Apple pie that is in charge of my dietary habits. As the end of my fast approached, it was very easy to look at a display of birthday and other assorted cakes and not feel like jumping in with my whole body and simply stuffing my face.
What was surprising about my return to eating desserts after Easter was how rich and heavy they were. I’ve generally been trying to eat smarter, so my portion size has been reduced and I’ve virtually cut out having seconds. When I finally enjoyed a lovely piece of Cheesecake, it was indeed delicious, but it felt like something really, really fattening. I don’t know how else to describe it. All I can really say is that I didn’t realize just how much the very feeling of a dessert contributes to its overall yumminess. I guess I was spoiled. Before my forty day abstention I took for granted how filling and tasty a dessert could be. I now have a new appreciation for the whole dessert experience.
I wonder if we are over accustomed to the wonders and beauty of Jesus. Are we so used to praying that we don’t fully appreciate its impact? Is Jesus presence with us so familiar that we hardly recognize Him being there? Are we so comfortable with all the many blessings of food, fine homes and many luxuries that we have forgotten that they are gifts from God? I wonder.
I wonder what it would be like if we were forced to give up prayer when we needed it most; or if we couldn’t turn to Jesus when we’re lonely or afraid. What would it be like if God decided that He would abstain from providing us all the blessings He sends our way?
It might be a small thing, but I’ll never look at a dessert the same way. From now on, I’m going to cut back and try to enjoy them as a real treat rather than a regular part of life. I wonder if it’s time that we started appreciating Jesus and all His blessings a little more as well. Maybe it’s time we all took Him a little more seriously and paid HIm the attention He truly deserves.
No comments:
Post a Comment