June 10th My Entourage

Did you know that a certain rock-star has added a Spiritual Advisor to her “support staff.” Did you know that there are at least 23 other people in this star’s support staff, or ‘entourage’ as it’s more commonly known? I was certainly surprised that she would need that many folks around her, even if one of them is a Spiritual Advisor. Maybe it’s just me, but it didn’t take very long before my surprise turned into a question: how could anyone need that many folks around them? What could they possibly do for her that she can’t do on her own? Or, and I don’t mean this to be catty or mean, does she really think that there are things that are either so beneath her or beyond her that she really needs other folks to do them for her?
I accept the fact that we all need folks around us to help us and to do things we can’t do. Just today I had my car repaired by a trained mechanic. I love cars, and I’m pretty handy with a wrench, but this man did in an hour what would have taken me all day to do. You probably have folks that help you as well; that’s normal. It just seems a little beyond reasonable for a person to have an entourage surrounding them at all times. Maybe I’m special, but I think I can feed myself pretty much without help.
Perhaps the most disturbing part of any famous or powerful person’s entourage is not that they are needed, but they are paid. These are not loving, caring people that are there because they want to see their boss succeed; they are not like a mom or dad doting on their child; they are there purely to make money. They might enjoy their job; they might even like the person they are supporting; but never let it be forgotten that they are in it first and foremost for the money. And that, my friends, is why I don’t really think I need or would like an entourage. If I’m going to be cared for, I want it to be because folks care for me, not because I am paying them. It might not surprise you, therefore, to know that I don’t have a personal entourage.
Well, OK, I’m not being entirely honest. I do actually have a a team that is constantly at my side supporting me and doing things for me that are beyond my skills and capacities. Truth be told, I would be completely lost without my personal entourage taking care of me every moment of my life. And no, they are not paid; and no, I am not special or unique because I have this group supporting me. In fact, I’m not even alone in having a personal entourage around me. You can have one too, if you want it.
If you would like your own personal entourage, just invite the Holy Spirit to guide you; let God be your heavenly Father; accept Jesus as your Saviour and there you go, you have your own personal entourage, the same one that cares for me and supports me Twenty-four/Seven. No surprises here, folks, except for the fact that so few people choose to have such a great personal entourage for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment