At a lunch with a number of fellow Pastors we all commiserated on the ‘missing generation’ that seems to be plaguing the Christian church. Well, I suppose ‘plague’ is a poor choice of words; it’s not a plague it’s more of a cavity. We aren’t diseased; we have a hole in our congregations. As I pondered this problem, I started thinking about my early church colleagues way back when. I don’t mean in the 20th or even 19th centuries; I mean back when the church had few pews and even fewer members.
Way back in the early days of Christianity churches were small and scattered. They faced persecution. They struggled with the popularity of other religions. They were put down by the government. They had no money. In some ways the only difference between our present situation and theirs is the level of enthusiasm. The early Christians were excited; they knew they had been given a great gift and they wanted to share it. Modern Christians, on the other hand, at least here in North America, seem beleaguered and tired. We know we have something great; we just don’t know what to do about it.
An opportune phone call came just a few minutes ago. It was from someone that once came to St. James as a regular member. They haven’t been around a while; they were calling for a completely different reason. I answered their question and then did something I’ve always meant to do but rarely follow through with: I invited them to church. I pointed them to our website and invited them to check us out on Sunday morning.
I am passionate about St. James. I am more passionate about Jesus. I love what I do and the church I serve. I want others to share that passion. I want you to share my passion, whether you’re reading this as a member of the church or an interested bystander. But I’d like something more from everyone, especially from those of you who love Jesus. I’d love for you to share that love in word and in deed.
The early Christians didn’t face an uphill battle. They didn’t struggle to grow the church. They didn’t worry about building new buildings or filling new ones. They simply worshiped and served. They sang songs and hymns. They fed the poor. They invited neighbours, friends and family members into their world. The lived and breathed the Good News, not in defiance of the powers-that-were, but in honour of the one that the Good News revealed.
Were those early church builders any different from us? No.
Did they have a secret formula for success? No.
They simply followed the ways of Christ and told others about Him. When words failed they didn’t give up; they kept on loving Jesus and let that love speak for itself. Times haven’t really changed that much. What those early believers did is what we too can do. They grew the early church with their passion and love. They shared the Good News. If they did it, why can’t we? For the Bulletin if there’s room:
On April 15th we’re celebrating Communion here at St. James. That’s the week after Easter and one of the popular readings for that day tells the story of Jesus commissioning His followers for the task ahead. The commissioning takes place during a beach-side breakfast, a simple meal Jesus Himself prepared.
Our week-after-Communion service will celebrate that special meal. We’ll gather ‘round the table and enjoy a simple breakfast together (hosted by our Mission and Outreach team) as part of worship. Communion itself will be served at that common table, just as Jesus Himself did the night that He instituted His feast of Bread and Wine. Don’t miss this chance to worship and to share in Jesus holy meal of forgiveness, hope and new possibilities.
Translation for El Shaddai lyrics
El Shaddai: "God Almighty"
El-Elyon na Adonai: "God Most High, O Lord”
Erkamka na Adonai: "I love you, O Lord”
Way back in the early days of Christianity churches were small and scattered. They faced persecution. They struggled with the popularity of other religions. They were put down by the government. They had no money. In some ways the only difference between our present situation and theirs is the level of enthusiasm. The early Christians were excited; they knew they had been given a great gift and they wanted to share it. Modern Christians, on the other hand, at least here in North America, seem beleaguered and tired. We know we have something great; we just don’t know what to do about it.
An opportune phone call came just a few minutes ago. It was from someone that once came to St. James as a regular member. They haven’t been around a while; they were calling for a completely different reason. I answered their question and then did something I’ve always meant to do but rarely follow through with: I invited them to church. I pointed them to our website and invited them to check us out on Sunday morning.
I am passionate about St. James. I am more passionate about Jesus. I love what I do and the church I serve. I want others to share that passion. I want you to share my passion, whether you’re reading this as a member of the church or an interested bystander. But I’d like something more from everyone, especially from those of you who love Jesus. I’d love for you to share that love in word and in deed.
The early Christians didn’t face an uphill battle. They didn’t struggle to grow the church. They didn’t worry about building new buildings or filling new ones. They simply worshiped and served. They sang songs and hymns. They fed the poor. They invited neighbours, friends and family members into their world. The lived and breathed the Good News, not in defiance of the powers-that-were, but in honour of the one that the Good News revealed.
Were those early church builders any different from us? No.
Did they have a secret formula for success? No.
They simply followed the ways of Christ and told others about Him. When words failed they didn’t give up; they kept on loving Jesus and let that love speak for itself. Times haven’t really changed that much. What those early believers did is what we too can do. They grew the early church with their passion and love. They shared the Good News. If they did it, why can’t we? For the Bulletin if there’s room:
On April 15th we’re celebrating Communion here at St. James. That’s the week after Easter and one of the popular readings for that day tells the story of Jesus commissioning His followers for the task ahead. The commissioning takes place during a beach-side breakfast, a simple meal Jesus Himself prepared.
Our week-after-Communion service will celebrate that special meal. We’ll gather ‘round the table and enjoy a simple breakfast together (hosted by our Mission and Outreach team) as part of worship. Communion itself will be served at that common table, just as Jesus Himself did the night that He instituted His feast of Bread and Wine. Don’t miss this chance to worship and to share in Jesus holy meal of forgiveness, hope and new possibilities.
Translation for El Shaddai lyrics
El Shaddai: "God Almighty"
El-Elyon na Adonai: "God Most High, O Lord”
Erkamka na Adonai: "I love you, O Lord”
No comments:
Post a Comment