May 27th Reputation

I was on my way with purpose, determination and haste. I had things to do, people to see, important accomplishments to accomplish; the last thing I needed was a delay. I was delayed. I must have waited 50, maybe even 60 seconds in an almost empty bank! Almost a minute, with so much to do! Can you imagine that? Having to wait so interminably long while the tellers were, shockingly, busy with other customers! It was absolutely disgraceful! After all, as I started out, I had bigger fish to fry than lounging about in a bank.
Well, perhaps I was being a bit unreasonable. After all, the folks were not avoiding me; they had their own things to do and to accomplish. Yet in my haste I had painted everyone in the bank with a rather nasty brush and, as far as they were concerned, the collective reputation of the bank staff was forever sullied. Yes, I know, I was not at all fair, especially when you consider that while I was indeed busy and in a bit of a hurry, I actually had lots of time to get to my destination. I wanted to be there quickly, but it wasn’t because of poor timing or bad planning. I just wanted to move along.
When I was served by the teller, the bank’s reputation was immediately restored. She was patient, kind and extremely helpful. In fact, when I asked her for an ATM (automated Teller Machine) service I had never before used, she came out from behind her desk and showed me what to do with clarity and ease. In an instant my dark and unkind opinion of that particular banking institution and its staff was restored to pure gold. Perhaps I had been a tad unfair. Certainly the nice teller was very, very good.
A reputation is a fragile thing; it doesn’t take much to ruin one and can often take a long time to repair it. My bank experience was a silly one caused by my impatience. The reputation of the staff went downhill, in my mind, because I was too concerned with myself. Thankfully, the nice person that took care of me was so good, and I inwardly felt so foolish, that it only took a moment for me to think good things about her and her employer.
Sadly, when it comes to God and faith, good is not always associated with reputation. Many believe that churches are full of hypocrites, religion a sham and Jesus is a myth. For reasons reasonable and absurd, many people don’t want anything to do with  me or the faith system that I enjoy and serve. It’s not just Pastors, either; many people have problems with anyone connected with religion. For them, our reputation has been seriously sullied.
It’s a problem Jesus Himself faced: he was hated and rejected unfairly. He came with love and care, but many folks hated His message and His methods. That didn’t stop Him; he just did what He did best and for many folks, His reputation is indeed golden. Can we turn things around for the faith that honours and follows Jesus? Can we improve our reputation? Of course we can; all we have to do is to honour and follow Jesus by loving the loveless, caring for the needy and being the best earthly reflection of Him that we can. Do that, and our reputation will certainly change for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment