April 22nd Friction

During one of my perambulations, I noticed a crane was about to move a large concrete block. I like work; I could watch people doing it all day, so I decided to take a moment and observe the proceedings. The crane was like a great big arm and looked very impressive. The concrete block, well, it was grey and big and equally impressive. It was also very plain; by plain I mean there was nothing but concrete. No decorations, nothing at all, including no visible means of connecting the crane to the block.
You see, there were chains hanging from a special metal device on the business end of the crane. The chains, I thought, should have something with which to hook on to the heavy hunk of concrete: great steel loops perhaps; impressive iron handles, maybe; but no, it was just a simple piece of concrete with no visible points of attachment. Very curious, I thought.
The worker started the process. He placed the business end of the crane in just the right spot over the concrete block. Then he carefully draped the chains around the opposing end of the object. Hmm, even more curious, I pondered to myself. How will he fix those chains to the block, I wondered silently. Well, he didn’t; he simply started raising the arm of the crane and pulled the chains taut. The more he lifted the crane the tighter the chains became, until they were so tight against the block that nothing could separate the two. The friction between the metal and the concrete was enough to hold the two together so that the crane could do its work. In a few moments the block was lifted, shifted and deposited, all thanks to friction.
Friction is a powerful force. The friction between concrete and iron allowed a heavy block to be moved without need for hooks marring its surface. The friction between two people can cause all kinds of unpleasant results. It’s no wonder we talk about “rubbing people the wrong way.” When people disagree on something their contrary attitudes can cause a great deal of discomfort between them.
God made each of us different and unique, so sometimes we can’t avoid friction. It doesn’t have to be painful however. If we treat our differing opinions with respect and honour, friction can be greatly reduced. It  can, at times be a good thing; when folks differing two points of view listen to each other, they can learn something new about their own idea. Even better, if they are open to God moulding and shaping them, a new thing can grow out of the two variations on a theme. So, while friction can be painful, it can also help us mature and become better people.
Look at what friction did for the chain and the concrete: it brought them together so that the worker could use one to move the other. Maybe God has lined you up with someone that rubs you the wrong way. However, carefully and prayerfully considered, friction with your neighbour needn’t be painful. If you’re open, it can be a learning experience that allows each of you to lift and shift the other to a new way of thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment