My clerical collar is a telltale marker of what I am and what I do. Most folks in the Western world would recognize me as Christian minister of some kind. Folks from the Roman tradition call me Father, business people and my mates at the Legion call me Rev, while parishioners as St. James call me Pastor or PJ. Because it is a badge of recognition, I don’t usually wear it when I’m working in the church, especially during weekdays. However, if I am out in the public, then the collar is definitely on. Most folks don’t have the honour of wearing a collar and thus identifying themselves as Christians. Many do, however, put a fish on their car, which doesn’t necessarily tell me they are fellow Pastors, Priests or whatever you call your minister, but certainly lets me and everyone else know that they are Christians.
It’s a good thing to see fellow believers out there in the world, letting their faith be known. Thus, when I found myself in Guelph driving behind a nice car proudly bearing a fish logo, I was pretty pumped. Cool, a fellow Christian letting her faith be shown on her cute convertible, I thought to myself. My thoughts quickly changed, however, when in less than two blocks she broke no fewer than four driving rules, one of them twice! I couldn’t believe it. I mean, I know there are bad drivers out there, but I figure if your going to let folks know you’re Christian, you had better behave in a manner befitting the clean-cut image we believe is befitting one of Jesus’ followers.
Certainly I’m treated that way when I have my collar on. I am expected to have a higher moral standard when I am in clerical mode and that expectation reveals itself in the way folks act around me. Now, because of my calling from God, I realize that I might be a bit more on display, and that it’s part of my vocation to do my best to hold to a higher moral standard. At the same time, however, I figure if you’re going to let the world know you’re a Christian, whether it’s with a fish logo on your car, an attractive cross necklace or a t-shirt saying “Jesus is the way, the truth and the life” then your actions better reflect that declaration in a positive way.
Our human reality, however, falls far short of our Christian standards. We all mess up. It’s who we are. It’s why we need Jesus’ constant forgiveness. It’s what our whole life is really about. Still, I honestly if naively, believe that if we are going to let others know who and what we are, then our behaviour, even behind the wheel of a car, should reflect that admission. In fact, whether or not I wear a collar or someone has a fish on their car shouldn’t change how we behave. Businessmen who know I’m a minister watch their tongues whether or not I’m in ‘uniform.’ They know that mine is not a 9 to 5 job and that I represent my heavenly Boss all the time.
It should be like that for all of us. We shouldn’t need a sign to remind others of what we believe, nor should our actions change just because we’re wearing a John 3:16 t-shirt. Our every action and word should subtly but clearly reveal what we believe and who we follow every minute of our lives. At least that’s the way I see it.
It’s a good thing to see fellow believers out there in the world, letting their faith be known. Thus, when I found myself in Guelph driving behind a nice car proudly bearing a fish logo, I was pretty pumped. Cool, a fellow Christian letting her faith be shown on her cute convertible, I thought to myself. My thoughts quickly changed, however, when in less than two blocks she broke no fewer than four driving rules, one of them twice! I couldn’t believe it. I mean, I know there are bad drivers out there, but I figure if your going to let folks know you’re Christian, you had better behave in a manner befitting the clean-cut image we believe is befitting one of Jesus’ followers.
Certainly I’m treated that way when I have my collar on. I am expected to have a higher moral standard when I am in clerical mode and that expectation reveals itself in the way folks act around me. Now, because of my calling from God, I realize that I might be a bit more on display, and that it’s part of my vocation to do my best to hold to a higher moral standard. At the same time, however, I figure if you’re going to let the world know you’re a Christian, whether it’s with a fish logo on your car, an attractive cross necklace or a t-shirt saying “Jesus is the way, the truth and the life” then your actions better reflect that declaration in a positive way.
Our human reality, however, falls far short of our Christian standards. We all mess up. It’s who we are. It’s why we need Jesus’ constant forgiveness. It’s what our whole life is really about. Still, I honestly if naively, believe that if we are going to let others know who and what we are, then our behaviour, even behind the wheel of a car, should reflect that admission. In fact, whether or not I wear a collar or someone has a fish on their car shouldn’t change how we behave. Businessmen who know I’m a minister watch their tongues whether or not I’m in ‘uniform.’ They know that mine is not a 9 to 5 job and that I represent my heavenly Boss all the time.
It should be like that for all of us. We shouldn’t need a sign to remind others of what we believe, nor should our actions change just because we’re wearing a John 3:16 t-shirt. Our every action and word should subtly but clearly reveal what we believe and who we follow every minute of our lives. At least that’s the way I see it.
No comments:
Post a Comment