Part of a conversation overheard in a coffee shop recently: “I don’t throw it in the garbage, I leave it right on top for everybody to see. The extra five minutes exposure is worth it.” The gist of the talk was that it was worth doing just about anything, even setting garbage on top of a bin, to get more advertising. I guess that in a world in which every blank space, whether it’s by a highway or on an athlete’s cap, any and all exposure is good. I guess the world is just that competitive. Everybody selling something wants to get that product before your eyes. They want you to notice it, to remember it and to buy it. Even the placement of tins and boxes on grocery store shelves. The hotly contested spots are those that are right in front of the customer’s eyes, so that the product itself becomes its on advertising.
Maybe I should start advertising my Pensive Pastors. Just think of it: my image boldly emblazoned on billboards, magazines and T-shirts. Think of the possible readership! Think of the possible income! Think of folks leaving products with my name and slogan sitting on top of a garbage bin for an extra five minutes exposure. I think not. I think I’ll leave advertising my writings up to folks who like reading them, and other forms of promotion to folks who really need it.
Sometimes, however, I wonder about the church, that is the body of Christians throughout the world, and how we might better advertise the God we love so much. Sometimes I wonder that maybe we need a TV campaign, or billboards, or something, even a cup of coffee with God’s face...
...or maybe not.
God has a distinct way of promoting things that concern him. The very miracle of a Crocus breaking through the ground as soon as the ground is barely warm enough to sustain life speaks to His genius. A trusted friend reaching out to another in a Christ-like way promotes God’s mercy. A loving word of welcome to a stranger advertises God’s care for humanity. The signs are everywhere, if you know how to read them...
...and if you know how to be one.
God is not into shameless self-promotion. Neither are His followers. We are called, however, to share what we know about God, what we have learned from God, and what we have received from God, with all the world. Our very lives are the best and only advertisement God needs. When we care for another person and attribute that care to our Heavenly Creator, we do a better job of advertising than a thousand roadside billboards. When we speak up for the oppressed or stand against injustice because it is the right and holy thing to do, we promote God better than the slickest TV spot. When we forgive someone or show kindness to the least deserving person, we get more positive exposure than a thousand coffee cups left on a trash can. Nothing can draw people to God better than a life well lived and openly attributed to God. At least that’s the way I see it.
Maybe I should start advertising my Pensive Pastors. Just think of it: my image boldly emblazoned on billboards, magazines and T-shirts. Think of the possible readership! Think of the possible income! Think of folks leaving products with my name and slogan sitting on top of a garbage bin for an extra five minutes exposure. I think not. I think I’ll leave advertising my writings up to folks who like reading them, and other forms of promotion to folks who really need it.
Sometimes, however, I wonder about the church, that is the body of Christians throughout the world, and how we might better advertise the God we love so much. Sometimes I wonder that maybe we need a TV campaign, or billboards, or something, even a cup of coffee with God’s face...
...or maybe not.
God has a distinct way of promoting things that concern him. The very miracle of a Crocus breaking through the ground as soon as the ground is barely warm enough to sustain life speaks to His genius. A trusted friend reaching out to another in a Christ-like way promotes God’s mercy. A loving word of welcome to a stranger advertises God’s care for humanity. The signs are everywhere, if you know how to read them...
...and if you know how to be one.
God is not into shameless self-promotion. Neither are His followers. We are called, however, to share what we know about God, what we have learned from God, and what we have received from God, with all the world. Our very lives are the best and only advertisement God needs. When we care for another person and attribute that care to our Heavenly Creator, we do a better job of advertising than a thousand roadside billboards. When we speak up for the oppressed or stand against injustice because it is the right and holy thing to do, we promote God better than the slickest TV spot. When we forgive someone or show kindness to the least deserving person, we get more positive exposure than a thousand coffee cups left on a trash can. Nothing can draw people to God better than a life well lived and openly attributed to God. At least that’s the way I see it.
No comments:
Post a Comment