June 20th

I was at a Christian music night enjoying a rousing rendition of “I’ll fly away” sung by a fine choir and backed up by an enthusiastic audience. The enthusiasm wasn’t just in the singing, however. One chap at sitting in the very front pew made like a bird or a plane every time we sang the line “I’ll fly away.” Swept up by the lyrics, he changed their meaning from a some-day promise to a right-now reality by holding his arms straight out and then twisting his torso like a bird in rapturous flight. I don’t if I liked the singing or his actions better. Well, actually, it was that man’s freedom and joy that really made my night. As nice as it was to hear some good music, it was seeing one person’s spirit fly away in response to song that filled my own heart with happiness and praise.
There’s an old film of me when I was around eight or nine, dancing (or in my son’s words, prancing) and jumping about without regard for the camera. Or maybe it was a happy reaction to the camera, I’m not sure which. Nevertheless, I don’t remember the exact context or why I was dancing, but the joy I expressed at that time was real and genuine. It might have been staged, but my happy childhood gave me lots of reasons of reasons to prance about in total joy. Later realities and changes might have taken out some of my enthusiasm. Assorted experiences may have closed off access to total uninhibited joyful dancing, but I know it when I see it. That man flying with the music certainly had it, and it made my heart, if not my feet, dance.
On one occasion, way back when, King David danced without an ounce of inhibition. He let loose before the Lord, not caring about who watched. It was a moment of sheer joy for him, and nothing was going to stop him. Sadly, one of his wives didn’t think too much of his free expression and her heart burned with anger. So who did God react to? Certainly not David. God loved his servant’s heart and body felt praise. David’s bitter wife, however, was made barren by God, so upset was He with her.
We are meant to praise God wholeheartedly and without restraint. In fact, we are meant to enjoy life wholeheartedly and without restraint. Yet there are enough worries and woes in our personal histories that we forget how to dance and praise. Or else we are told it’s not appropriate, or made to feel that we should be more modest and restrained in how we express ourselves. Now, I’m not advocating everyone should dance like David danced (read 2 Kings to get the full picture) but at the same time I’m suggesting we need to let go every once in a while.
Maybe its a happy little two-step when we get good news. Maybe it’s flying like a bird in reaction to a happy song. Maybe it’s something totally different for you, something I can’t even begin to describe. Wouldn’t it be nice to know and express such joy. Next time your heart is moved, go ahead. God wont’ mind. He might even join you in your dance or your flight or whatever way you praise Him. After all, your happiness is His happiness. At least that’s the way I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment