Yes, I’m back. I’m back because today marks the beginning of Advent and of a new Church year. Our calendar year finishes December 31st. Some companies finish their year in March, others in October or thereabouts. Go figure. The point is institutions and individuals mark beginnings and endings all the time, some significant, some not so much.
For me this beginning of a new church year also marks a little beginning of a new personal time, a time of active Spiritual growth and renewal. As part of that effort I am starting to share my personal thoughts on weekly basis once again, albeit under a new title; I have decided to start a daily personal prayer journal, to be shared online. I am also trying to exercise and work out a little more so that my physical self will be as in tune as my Spiritual self.
To be honest, I’ve been longing to get back to these regular reflection pieces. Not too many folks seemed to miss them or comment on their absence, but I felt something missing in not recording and sharing these thoughts. So, yes, I’m back here in the bulletin on a weekly basis, but not just to see my name in print or bore you with my thoughts.
It’s part of a larger effort to be more disciplined with my prayer and reflection time so that I might better serve others and live my life of faith. That’s why, along with these writings, I’ll also be journaling my prayers on a daily basis. As it is, I’m very faithful with my daily Bible readings. Haven’t missed a day in over 3 years so far. My prayer time, however, has been more hit and miss. That’s why, as we start a new church year, I decided to hunker down and be more proactively prayerful. By committing to sharing at least part of my daily prayers in my Blog, I hope not only to offer inspiration to others, but also to force myself set aside time to pray and reflect quietly.
That’s the plan, anyway. How it will unfold is yet to be seen. Lila, who puts together the weekly bulletin, will now have to scramble in order to accommodate this change. You folks will have to adapt to reading my weekly thoughts, if not my daily prayers. I’ll have to get to work to see that I live up to my personal and public promises and commitments.
This first Sunday in Advent is dedicated to hope: the hope found in a new born baby, the hope of a returning Saviour, the hope of a better, fuller life through Christ. While it isn’t a major upheaval for most folks, for me it feels like the right time to make some changes in what and how I do things. Hopefully, it’s in line with what God expects and needs from me. Hopefully, its a little change for the better.
No comments:
Post a Comment